Adventures in a black maple box

Life has just gotten a little more interesting...

Sunday, March 18, 2007

I want Radiohead while I pick out my red pepper

Do you remember tagging along with your parents while they did the grocery shopping? Then you must surely remember the horrible music "of the day" that was always playing over the store stereo system. It was music that appealed to people our parent's age, that was supposed to make them "bee-bop" while they shopped, make them more happy so they would buy more. Admittedly, a clever marketing ploy. Children like me hated this music of course because it just...well...how do I say it...wasn't our taste. I craved the day when I had children and was grocery shopping to all of my faves.

Well, what's up with the grocery stores I shop in??!! I went for my weekly trip and had to put up with music from the cheesy "easy-rock" genre. The music hasn't changed in 20 YEARS!!!! What's wrong with these people??! The music co-ordinator is probably still running the same mixed tape their high-school girlfriend made them back in the day. Someone needs to tell them that feeling like I have to vomit won't make me buy more food.

Enough said.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    kim,
    Think about it- as you indicated, the music is a great marketing ploy.Therefore, they cater to the MAJORITY of grocery shoppers-THE BABY BOOMERS!!!!!-I'm afraid you are going to have to wait until we are in nursing homes and not doing our own grocery shopping!! Maybe you could bring your ipod with you next time you go!:)

    Love you,
    Mom

     
  • At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You should listen to your mom. She knows what she is saying. I remember once having a gig at YIG's, you know Your Independent Grocers.. it was for 4 years..great souce of income.
    Your turn for your music will come.
    Please visit my site.

    http://www.barrymanilow.com/

    Have a great day
    Barry

     

Post a Comment

<< Home